The Relief and Technical Assistance Response Project to the Drought Crisis in Moldova has been developed mostly as a response to the emergency needs resulted from the harsh drought that has affected the country during summer time of 2007. It has been designed based on the general assessment report provided jointly by FAO experts and Global Food Program in July - August 2007. The project is financially supported by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
One of the project objectives is to mitigate the severe impacts of the drought by providing aid with corn seeds to farmers and other social vulnerable population affected by this calamity. The National Agency for Rural Development is contracted by UNDP to identify and select project beneficiaries and monitor corn seeds distribution in the period of 21 March 2008 – 20 April 2008.
The project activities include identification and selection of 82 600 corn beneficiaries from 827 rural communities within 30 rayons and TAU Gagauzia according to a set of eligibility criteria established by the donor. The primary eligibility criteria are as follows:
1. households having not more than 2 ha per family member of agricultural land in property;
2. households having at least 0.5 ha available land for corn cultivation;
3. households having land prepared for corn cultivation;
4. households with experience in corn cultivation;
5. households which haven’t received any drought assistance (from UN or other sources).
Due to limited quantity of corn seeds provided within the project, some secondary criteria will be applied to make difference between potential beneficiaries. Therefore, the priority will be given to households which fit at least into one category below, arranged by importance:
1. Households with 2 or more children under 17 years old;
2. Households with one or more persons with disabilities.
Within the selection process, another set of criteria will be applied to exclude non-eligible persons. Thus, households which drop under below categories, will not be eligible to benefit by corn seeds:
1. Households with one or more members with permanent employment (either in private or state sector);
2. Households with one or more members working abroad
The selection of corn beneficiaries will be realized in close cooperation with rayon and local public authorities through working groups created for this purpose.
The corn seeds distribution with will be performed by central authorities, rayon agricultural departments and local public authorities.
Within this project, ACSA is also responsible of monitoring the distribution process of corn seeds to project beneficiaries.